Saturday, June 29, 2013

Owl Still-life demonstration


On June 22 I was Invited to do a Demonstration at the Piedmont Pastel Society in Charlotte,NC. What a lovely space they have- nice cool light and plenty of shades on the windows with which to control the light.

  I chose a rather complicated still-life to do because frankly they are more fun to watch but in retrospect I should have chosen a smaller format as I would have been able to get farther in the painting. I have decided therefore to finish the piece through this blog so everyone can see how I would proceed
                                                                                                                                                                        I worked on a sanded board which I prepared myself with a combination of gesso, acrylic and pumice.
I did my underpainting with pan pastels because it covers beautifully on this surface and it blends well with stick pastels. In fact one can go back and forth for a while before transitioning to the sticks entirely

I did make some changes in the composition- lowering the flower and moving the birds nest farther back. I filled in the background more completely. Now I will be beginning to work in more detail, but I will show you that in a later post.

No comments:

Post a Comment